Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Mother's Day 2007

You Do Not Have to Be Perfect to Be Wonderful!
Mother’s Day Article
By: Amy K. Ambridge
February 7, 2007

This Mother’s Day, go easy on yourself. Many women dread that special day of the year when they are honored. Women often focus on their weaknesses. Focusing on the areas where we feel we are failing instead of all the areas where we are making a positive impact leaves us feeling less than worthy. I heard a statement at a Time Out for Women Conference that helped change this for me. David A. Christensen said, “You do not have to be perfect to be wonderful.” (Time Out for Women, Sacramento, CA, April 2005, David A. Christensen)

During all the glowing Mother’s Day talks, say to yourself, “I do not have to be perfect to be wonderful,” take a deep breath and relax. Your family knows you are not perfect and they love you anyway.

The story of Thomas in the scriptures helps me to put my own life in perspective. I realize that Father in Heaven knows my weaknesses, but he sees me for all that I am. Thomas is known to millions as “Doubting Thomas” for his moments of weakness, but be assured the Lord does not use that name when referring to his precious son.

In John chapter eleven we see a very different Thomas. Lazarus dies and Jesus is going back to Judea. His disciples say in verse eight, “Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again? We see that the Savior is in great mortal danger if he returns to Judea. In verse eleven, “Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellow-disciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.” Thomas doubted, but he was also brave and willing to lay down his life.

We are the same way. We often label ourselves or see only our frailties; the Lord sees our heart and our great strength. The Lord does not see you as the woman with the unclean laundry piling up or as the woman who lost her temper last week. He sees you as a precious daughter on a road of discipleship. Yes you falter, yes you fall, but you get back up and continue on that arduous journey of discipleship.

When I listen to Mother’s Day talks, I imagine a woman so different from myself. This woman has a lace collar (nothing wrong with lace collars) and apron on and looks a lot like the woman in “Leave it to Beaver.” I am a woman of faith, but I am also modern day mama who works part-time from home doing public relations for my husbands office, runs kids to and from extra-curricular activities, often nags the children to practice their piano (threatening to cut off their expensive piano lessons), e-mails, blogs, throws huge parties and sit-down dinners.

I did million-dollar deals and oversaw sales people in multiple states before motherhood. Still, I am not great at reminding my children to brush their teeth and my laundry room looks like a bomb went off. I struggle to be patient and ever loving and I even raise my voice sometimes.

When I left the corporate world to stay home with my almost two-year-old, I thought my life was being run by a tyrant. (The more I know about two-year-olds, the more I see the accuracy of this statement.) I had to learn how to sit on the floor and play baby dolls and not feel that I was going out of my mind. It is easier now, because I have three children and I have completely lost my mind.


Despite my not being what might be termed, “Perfect,” I am wonderful in my own ways.
I know that like Esther, you and I were born for such a time as this. Each of us has a special calling and work that only we can do. I also know there is no such thing as a “Perfect Woman” or “Perfect Mother” because perfection has more to do with what is needed in each particular circumstance. I try to focus on living the gospel as perfectly as possible and trust that my own unique personality qualifies me for the work I have been called to do.

So, take a deep breath this Mother’s Day. Your family knows you are not perfect, but you do not have to be perfect to be wonderful. You are wonderful.

No comments: